How School-Age Students Learn to Be Their Best Selves
In our Before- and After-School Clubhouse, school-age students will learn character development that will help them with personal growth and lifelong success through the five unique clubs of our My Best Self! program. Strategies, routines, and support help students build their learning skills, independence, sense of responsibility, and control over their own lives.
Before school, Kick-Off Club establishes comfortable morning routines to prepare student for the day and helps them set daily goals to strive towards.
- Prep Your Brain: Quick, independent activities in the morning help students get their brains and bodies ready for a busy day at school.
- Plan Your Purpose: In daily goal-setting meetings, students discuss personal experiences and future expectations in a group, while developing an intentional attitude toward personal growth.
- Pack and Go: Students take responsibility for ensuring they have what they need for the school day, with support from the teacher. Students develop independence and build intentional attitudes toward personal growth, reflect on their goals for the day, maintain responsibility for their belongings, and take control around how they will begin their day.
After school, students engage in challenging activities, team building, and reflection with the Challenge Club, Grow Fit Club, Homework Club, and Community Club.
The Challenge Club has two sets of activities, Refine your Mind and Get Together.
- Refine your Mind: Quick, independent activities challenge students to use their brains in new ways. These activities challenge students to build academic, social, and emotional skills differently than they have all day at school. Students will think critically and solve problems.
- Get Together: These active, team-building challenges focus on a sense of community and a team atmosphere. Conscious self-reflection helps to build self-regulation and critical-thinking skills. Students gain insight, personal growth, and a sense of control over their own lives.
The team-building aspect of the Get Together activities will improve motivation and encourage trust, communication, and cooperative problem solving among students. In addition, activities are specifically designed to promote patience, cooperation, and a team attitude while creating a cohesive and productive environment in which all students can thrive.
Grow FitTM Club
In order to build a strong body and mind, kids need an hour of physical activity each day. This will improve strength and endurance, helps build healthy bones and muscles, and reduces anxiety and stress while increasing self-esteem. This club includes Get Moving Challenges and individual activity trackers.
We provide a wealth of tool, strategies, and guidance to help students be successful in completing homework. This makes busy nights at home less stressful knowing that all or most of your child’s schoolwork is complete for the next day.
The Community Club provides an opportunity for students to engage in real community or school issues, to think critically to solve problems, and to connect to their community while having fun and feeling good about giving back and making a difference.
At the core of My Best Self!, while children are learning, playing, and growing, they are also developing their character in five key areas:
- Compassionate me
- Capable me
- Courageous me
- Healthy me
- Social me
These are the aspects that make up each child’s best self, the parts that make people decent and competent, that build independence, cooperation, and creative thinking.